Monday, March 19, 2012

Being a Grown-Up

I've re-entered the life of the semi-responsible, and it's proving more difficult than I imagined. I'm tired. I just want to be sleeping right now. Not awaiting another class of teenagers that take having a substitute as having a day to do anything not normally acceptable in a classroom. Who can blame them though? I acted the same way in high school. I get a kick out of the fact that these kids think that I'm unintelligent. Rather, that they're more intelligent than I am, and that an eye roll is the appropriate response for my instructions. Bless their little teenager hearts and sassy attitudes. I adore the fact that they think their lives are of upmost importance. I love this profession. Sincerely, no sarcasm intended. I love what I do/will do in the future.

With that said, being a "grown-up" is still an overwhelming thought sometimes. Granted, I'm 24, live at my parents house, have little to no actual responsibility, very few bills, and revel in that fact. I think it's the lack of spontanaeity that's difficult for me. I've never been the type of person to take off to Spain with a weeks notice, or even to St. George for the weekend without thourough planning, but the idea that I need to be in the same place every day for 180 consecutive days seems a little daunting. Yet, I've picked a profession that will allow me a lifestyle that I've always wanted. No nights or weekends, and three months off in the summer. It's perfect really.

Most days I really want to be more productive and doing things with my life, which is what I'm doing today. Substitute from 7:00 to 2:30, then wait tables from 4:00 to 10:30. Active, productive, making money to put away into savings. But today, I don't want to be a grown-up. Today, I just wanted to sleep until 9:00 and then go snowboarding. Then maybe take a nap. Watch my favorite TV show. Then read a book until I fell asleep.

But alas, a grown-up I shall be.

1 comment:

  1. Its true:) Being a grown up is lame.
    But I don't really want to start over either... So I guess we will all just be grown ups.

    ReplyDelete