Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Unsolved Mysteries


What do you see when you look at this picture? Well, as my dear friend Jordan put it best, I see, "A bunch of tiny little men running around on a field." That's what I see, yet, somehow, most of the men that I know see hours and hours and hours...and hours of entertainment. This to me, will remain an unsolved mystery.
Jordan and I ate at Ernie's Sports Deli this morning. Oh so very delicious. As usual, Ernie's had ESPN on, and that struck up a conversation between the two of us. How in the world do guys enjoy watching ESPN all day? Especially when it's endless sports clips. How is it that most guys know exactly what's going, what team is playing, and how that ten second play effected the entire game. All I see is nonsense and hours of boredom. My brothers in particular can watch sports highlights for a longer amount of time than I can spend on my hair, which is impressive. More than ESPN, the channel that captivates a man's attention in an inexplicable way is...
How in the world can guys watch sharks for four hours? Why is it interesting to watch elephants spray each other with water? How is it enjoyable to watch people from foreign countries eat bugs? What makes Bear Grylls the man? Why do you love to watch super geeks blow stuff up? Why is Planet Earth the greatest show ever created?
Almost every guy that I know over the age of 21 makes his first big investment by purchasing a nice big TV. Why do they do that? So that they can watch ESPN and the Discovery Channel.
Maybe the key to it all is that women just aren't supposed to understand....

11 comments:

  1. Rachel...Bear Grylls IS the man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason Rachel, my friend, is that men are (generally) not the same as women.

    Men don't fuss about matching eyeshadow with their outfits, or making sure the feng shui of their home is just right or spending months on planning a wedding.

    Girls like accessorizing, shopping, having a purse for every occasion and scrap booking. Generally speaking, guys don't like, nor do they understand these things for the very same reason that you do not understand our obsession with physical violence (Halo), sports and shark week.

    We're different, and as Arby's would say, "Different is good."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being married to one of your brothers, I totally understand where you are coming from. I do think however that not all women fall into the chategories that were previously mentioned. I know more girls that aren't into shopping and accessorizing than boys that are into ESPN. I think it is more common to find men who are into those channels, than women who are into the shopping and accessorizing. Love the blog posts sis! Very entertaining ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. (It was just a general assumption to prove a point. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. my favorite ice cream is moose tracks because of the delicious peanut butter cups. I also like ACDC and Nirvana. I was wondering if you like any of these same items. If so we could be soul mates. maybe not soul mates but friends that have common jokes about assburgers and presents in a box. I hope we are compatible. Let me know

    Signed

    Jorge Augusto

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, I never thought there were SO MANY different things to talk about football. Where they went to college, how smart their plays are, and ESPN TELLS THEM THE SAME INFORMATION OVER AND OVER. Oy vey, it is absolutely crazy. Have you seen gangland??? Creepiest show ever, every boy I know loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nate, touche!
    Chels, you're right. Bear is the man.
    Kati, I haven't even heard of gangland, but I get the inclination that I wouldn't love it, ha.
    And Jorge, you sound creepy. We're not compatible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After reading that post... I just found out that I'm a man. Damn :T

    ReplyDelete
  9. And after reading "Bags" first comment I found out I'm not a girl. Double Damn. Can someone please tell me what I am then?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Chellor Confused. That's what you are.

    ReplyDelete